"America" leaves LeHavre, France, for Cowes, England, July 31st, 1851.

The painting depicts "America" sailing through the entrance to LeHavre harbor, France, on July 31st, 1851 on her way to Cowes and her victory on August 22nd in winning the Royal Yacht Squadron/100 Guinea Cup, which became the America's Cup. Surrounding the "America" are well wishers rowing in dinghies. Just ahead of "America" is a fishing craft and astern is another fishing boat, a paddle steamer tug and a 3 masted barque. On the left hand side of the painting is the Tower of Francois The First guarding the entrance to LeHavre. A signalling station has been established next to the tower. The tide is going out as evidenced by the water swirling past the harbor wall in the right hand foreground. "America" has her new racing sails set ( with reef bonnets on the foresail and jib and reefpoints on the mainsail) and with Commodore Stevens ( of the New York Yacht Club) aboard is flying the Commodore's flag from the main masthead.
A light following breeze is leaving tracks on the calm water and sunlight is reflecting from the wavelets. Other shipping can be seen tied alongside the docks or anchored in the harbor.

"America" sailed across the Atlantic from New York arriving at LeHavre after a voyage of 20 days on July 11th, 1851. She was the first yacht to cross an ocean in order to take part in an international competition. Her sailing master was Richard Brown and her designer George Steers was also aboard.
On 21st July "America" took on a French pilot and proceeded under sail to the basin at LeHavre harbor. She was placed in the government dry dock for cleaning the bottom and painting the light grey topsides in a new coat of black paint. The inside of the bulwarks, mainboom, gaffs and mastheads were painted white. The racing sails were 'bent on' and the interior furniture and hangings were put in place. Commodore Stevens and his brother Edwin joined "America" at LeHavre.
Dimensions30" x 40"
MediaOil on canvas


Phone: New Zealand: (+649) 575 4517