"Fortuna", (Commodore Henry S. Hovey) followed by other large schooners of the Eastern Yacht Club, sail into Nantucket Harbor, circa 1885.
|Just after sunset and under a sickle moon the large schooner "Fortuna" leads other schooners of the Eastern Yacht Club fleet around Brandt Point into Nantucket Harbor. "Fortuna" is carrying a 'cloud' of sail in the light breeze, including jib-topsail and main jackyard topsail over her main topsail ( The jackyard topsail was often set over the main topsail so if the breeze increased it could be 'taken in' with no delay in setting the main topsail.).|
The Brandt Point Lighthouse can be seen in the left-hand background ( now the Coastguard Station). The large Nantucket Hotel can be seen in the right-hand background. It opened in the summer of 1884 and was the largest hotel on Nantucket. Its last full season was in 1904 and in 1906 it was dismantled.
"Fortuna" was designed by Cary Smith for Commodore Henry Hovey and launched in 1883. She measured 109' LOA, 95' LWL, 22' 6" beam and draft of 12'.
|Dimensions||30" x 40"|
|Media||Oil on canvas|